Geek Proud, GeekOut.

Gamer Question of the Month: Jul ’17

We were asked by the lovely team over at the Later Levels if I would like to take part in doing a monthly Q&A, to open discussion about video games amongst bloggers. If you’re interested in joining in the discussion, leave us a comment below, or reach out to Later Levels. Every month here on GeekOut South-West, we’ll be sharing what the question of the month is, as well as what our answers to this question is and our justification for the answers.

Which video game has the best idle animation?

When I was coming up with an answer for this one, I had to think back about a lot of my favourite games. For instance, in Final Fantasy IX, we see our main character, Zidane Tribal, just stretching, scratching his behind and so on. It’s a nice touch, which makes Zidane a lot more likable and lifelike. But then I thought again and realised this question was all about the best idle animations. Whilst Zidane is a great character with some excellent animations, there was only one choice for me, as I took influence from the words video game, rather than using character. As such, here is my answer for this month:

League of Legends

League of Legends is really well known and recently it’s been creeping onto our Top 10’s. However, what you need to realise is the insanely large roster of champions that are in the game all have their own individual idle animations. Well, I say idle animations; it’s actually just one of their animations for another action (such as a dance for Lee Sin). Whilst this means their idle animations weren’t specifically made for idle moments, they are still triggered when the player has been idle for a set amount of time. Also, there’s currently 137 champions in League of Legends!

That’s it – So a bunch of us have banded together to put our thoughts up. Why don’t you check out our choices below and give us a shout about what is your favourite idle animation in all of gaming? Agree with me? Do you think someone else on the list has chosen a better example of idle animations? Get involved by voting!

That’s it from me this month, but as always these posts are made to get us chatting. I must ask you: What game do you think has the best idle animation? Do you think this one sits up there, or is it no good to you? Remember to check out the original question over on Later Levels, then don’t forget to vote for your favourite Easter Egg over on this poll. Finally, leave us a comment below, or over on Facebook, Twitter or Reddit.

10 responses

1. If you’re idle in a game like LOL then isn’t that bad? Isn’t it all about the apm? A game Oxymoron perhaps?

Liked by 1 person

July 3, 2017 at 1:30 pm

• True enough, but idle animations exist. Especially when you’re deciding what to buy to turn the tides of the Summoners Rift to your teams advantage :P

July 3, 2017 at 1:37 pm

2. Chris Scott

For me, I think it has to be Sonic. The foot tapping while he’s waiting gets me every time.

Liked by 1 person

July 3, 2017 at 6:16 pm

• Man, that Hedgehog is always in a rush! It gets worse… Wasn’t it Sonic CD when, if you make him wait too long, he just jumps behind the stage and insta-game overs you?

Liked by 1 person

July 3, 2017 at 6:38 pm

• Chris Scott

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever played CD. I fell off after 3 and really didn’t pick back up again, albeit briefly, with Generations. Maybe one day I’ll give CD a shot.

Liked by 1 person

July 3, 2017 at 9:05 pm

• Here’s the instant death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWIsD58xzes :P

July 3, 2017 at 9:42 pm

3. I’ve got one! One of my favorite franchises ever: Rayman! The version on GBA had great animations, and that system still has my favorite art style. When Rayman was idle, his floating parts would bob, but the animation quality was awesome, in 16-bit glory. Like this: https://68.media.tumblr.com/a8a7546ca055fde9f20571b0f44ab802/tumblr_ol6kegijL01qa6wvao1_500.gif
    Let him stand long enough though… and he’d start doing all sorts of things.
    Same with the original Rayman on PC – if he stood near a ledge he would start frantically trying to balance himself. They really did a great job with all the details.

Liked by 1 person

July 6, 2017 at 3:25 pm

• Aww man, Rayman – There’s a franchise I loved to bits whenever I got ahold of one. I can picture his movements now! Great choice :)

Liked by 1 person

July 6, 2017 at 3:29 pm

• It’s also one of the few franchises that, in my opinion, keeps getting better. Rayman 2 was incredible, and Legends was the best platformer I’ve played in years. They really keep outdoing themselves!

Liked by 1 person

July 6, 2017 at 5:33 pm

4. Pingback: Question of the month: July 2017 edition – Later Levels

Drop us a line

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s