GeekOut Bristol Meet – June 10th: SCI-FI Gallery
Ah yes, once more we went back to the Old Market Tavern and we held our monthly GeekOut Bristol Meet. It was a quieter affair than usual, with approximately 50 people turning up for our event, however the event went off without a hitch. We had a rather good quiz and I got thoroughly out-geeked by the contestants! This is what went down at this months GeekOut Bristol Meet and information about July’s event!
Yes, this months theme was Sci-Fi – And even though we had a smaller affair than usual, damn you E3, it was a manageable and enjoyable event that people seemed to get a good kick out of. People thoroughly enjoyed this months competition and for your enjoyment, below is the quiz! It is half real space, half sci-fi.
The first section is all on space. These are all real life space facts.
- When did the Apollo-11 Moon Landings happen? (Note: We need the month and year!)
- Which two planets have no moon? (½ a point for each correct answer.)
- Discovered in March 2005, what is Makemake?
- What was the purpose of the Mars Rovers?
- Stars have their own gravity; true or false?
- What is the second planet from the sun?
- Launched in 1962, what was the Ariel 1?
- What does NASA stand for?
- Who was the second person to walk on the moon?
- Of what nationality was the first woman to reach space?
This second section then is all about Sci-Fi. A large portion of science fiction is covered here… So it’s gonna be a lil’ bit hit and miss for some of you – Or maybe you’re gonna call me a Sci-Fi luddite after these questions.
- Mandalore was the homeworld of what Star Wars race?
- Created by Paul Schneider, the Romulans are often primary antagonists of Star Trek. But what real life ancient civilisation are they based on?
- Who wrote The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy?
- Stargate has a method of instantaneous travel which is known as an Einstein-Rosen Bridge. But what is the common term for the bridge?
- What is the Bebop in Cowboy Bebop?
- What is the genre of the sci-fi themed game FTL?
- Isaac Asimov wrote which collection of short stories, which was turned into a film featuring Will Smith?
- What space game possibly had the largest ever player versus player battle? BONUS POINT: How much real life dollars did the damage of the battle theoretically amount to?
- What game’s antagonist said “L-l-l-l-l-look at you, hacker. A pa-pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone.”? BONUS POINT: What’s the name of the character?
- Who is the Guardian of the Keystone Quadrant, an expert marksman and tactician?
Once you’ve finished, check your answers on this PDF! Let us know how well you did in the comments below!
Next month we’ll be hosting our July GeekOut Bristol Meet – Where the theme is Video Games. Now, before we leave you – Here’s our monthly gallery of images!
As always, thank you so much to everyone who came along to the Old Market Tavern to celebrate geek culture with us. We seriously appreciate people coming along – Some people come from rather far away to join us, as well! If you have any suggestions for future events, please do not hesitate to let me know, as I love to see what I can do better to make these events truly special for everyone involved. We’re going to keep growing and who knows: perhaps we’ll be able to do more events in the future? In the mean time however, leave us your thoughts below, or over on Facebook, Twitter or Reddit.