Geek Proud, GeekOut.

Video Game Trends of 2017

2016 was certainly the year of VR and the revival of Pokemon, but what does 2017 hold for us? Are we going to be getting more game franchises come back and make a big statement, or is it time for some entirely new IPs to come about? What’s coming in the upcoming year? Will Nintendo get us to Switch to their newest console, or will people be sticking to the tried old method of PlayStation and Xbox?

Sequels & Reboots

Crash1d

Now, this is an obvious one, but there’s going to be plenty of sequels and reboots in 2017. I mean, so far, we’re already aware of the following:

… And with all of these titles, I’m barely scratching the itch that’s even on the surface. There’s so many reboots, such as Crash Bandicoot and even, amazingly, ToeJam & Earl. It’s never a surprise seeing so many of these old games coming back, but honestly, this might be one of the biggest years in gaming for reboots and sequels. Certainly not a terrible thing, as some of these titles are phenomenal in their own right. I’m excited for Tekken 7 and I gave a full rundown of the History of Tekken on The Mental Attic not long ago. Go have a gander, if you’re up for some education!

Virtual Reality Continues

cardboard-vr

Developers in AAA mediums don’t really tend to steer towards VR. However, this is all about to change. With events like Virtual Reality Evolution 2017 in February, you can bet your butts that VR is going to be getting even bigger in 2017. With key companies such as Valve and the BBC to name but a few companies who backed the new technology, we know that VR is going to be getting some impressive additions next year. There are some amazing tools being used by people in development, as well as just for general use – I think it’s safe to say that VR will continue to evolve over the next year.

The Switch Arrives

nintendo_switch_logo

Yes, the Nintendo Switch is making it’s debut next year and hoo boy, I’m highly excited to see this finally make it’s appearance. I think this could be a console as big as the original Wii was. Perhaps it won’t quite reach that level of mainstream, but damn it’s going to be close. It should certainly be a great follow up from the Wii U, which was a great console in it’s own right. I’m hoping that the Nintendo Switch will be crazy important for gaming. From some seriously ramped up specs, to the fact that you can play a game on the TV, then turn it into a handheld game all because your great grandma wants to watch the TV, this is big for gaming. It might not be brand new technology, but it’s certainly going to try to be perfected by Nintendo.

That’s it for next year’s trends – I hope we get more amazing trends, but what are you personally looking forward to for video games in 2017? Are you ready to see what the new year provides us? There’s only today and tomorrow left, so let’s make the most of the last of this year. As always, let me know what you thought of todays article in the comments below, or over on Facebook, Twitter or Reddit.

9 responses

1. I feel like I am the only one who is not excited for the switch but other than that i like your article.

December 30, 2016 at 5:11 pm

• Totally understandable too! The joy of the Switch is that it’s hopefully going to bring Nintendo up to speed with the other consoles again. To see Pokémon on a big screen will be awesome too – But it certainly won’t be everyone’s thing :D

Cheers for the comment :)

Liked by 1 person

December 30, 2016 at 5:30 pm

• Yes hopefully and it would be nice if pokemon would be on the big screen.

Liked by 1 person

December 30, 2016 at 5:41 pm

2. I feel as if the Switch is what the Wii U should have been in the first place. At least this time round, Nintendo seems to have gotten the initial message crystal clear and there’s little ambiguity as to what the Switch is or what it’ll do. I’m looking forward to the presentation on January 12th.

Apart from that, I’m looking forward to Dragon Quest VIII on 3DS, since I never got to play the original. I still need to pick up the DQVII remake though… I also really want to play Persona 5 and Danganronpa V3, but I don’t have a PS4 or Vita so I guess I’m out of luck :p

Liked by 1 person

December 31, 2016 at 12:50 am

• You hit the nail on the head regarding the Switch! This is why it’s so exciting for Nintendo fans, as well as tech fans in general. This could be the next step :D

All very good choices. I haven’t played any of the Danganronpa games sadly. Feel like I must change this soon :)

Liked by 1 person

December 31, 2016 at 12:55 am

• Yeah, I’ve watched the initial unveil video a few times now and no second of it really feels wasted. The Wii U was stuck in several awful positions at once – the casual market thought it was a Wii add-on, the core market thought the GamePad was a gimmick and it was launched at a time when better tablets were becoming popular. And you could even take those tablets out of the house!

It’s difficult to remember that the Wii U was the most powerful console on the market for a very short while. Instead with Switch, the message is clear. It’s not going to be ultra-powerful, but it’s going to give you games like Skyrim on the go, and that’s enticing enough for some I think. You are right when you say it could be the next step. I think it’s less weird to people that this is essentially a little tablet with controllers, but this time you can take it anywhere, unlike Wii U.

Also, they have the branding absolutely nailed this time. A bold red colour to sit next to Playstation blue and Xbox green, and the name “Nintendo Switch”. I also love the yin-yang logo that looks like the Joy-cons. Nintendo really confused me with Wii U – they tried making the Wii name into a brand and forgot that their own name *is* their brand. “Wii” was genius, “Wii U” was not. If their next console is “Switch U”, I’m going to scream.

I really hope the launch line-up blows me away, even with the rumours that Zelda won’t make it to launch. There was also the silly rumour of a Mario-Rabbids crossover?!?? It’s ridiculous enough to make me want to know more at least. I could talk about Nintendo and the Switch all day…

I’ve watched a friend play the first two Danganronpa games and they’re definitely something I’d recommend! I watched him play through Persona 4: Golden too, which is why I’m so excited for Persona 5 coming out in the West.

Also, something else we’ll hear more about in 2017 is the Xbox Scorpio. While it’s probably not going to be my cup of tea, I think it’ll be interesting to see if 4K gaming is going to take off like Sony and Microsoft seem to think it will. Although currently, it just feels as if Microsoft are just going to tape two Xbox Ones to each other and say “look, moar power!”. I hope they have something innovative up their sleeves.

Liked by 1 person

December 31, 2016 at 1:14 am

• Weirdly, my first comparison is the OnLive, if you remember that? It was supposed to be gaming anywhere – So long as you had an internet connection and I loved it when I played on it. Sadly, it didn’t really fare too well – But Ninty could be the ones to make this a “reality”, as it were.

“Switch Back” would be my guess at branding the Switch name ;)

Yeah, Persona and Danganronpa are definitely huge titles – and I think that’s a big bargaining point for Sony!

Let me do the next XBox Press Conference:

Sports, Sports, Sports, Colladoody, Colladoody, Spoooorts. TV, TV, TV, very powerful, TV. XBox: Go home: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw .

Liked by 1 person

December 31, 2016 at 1:34 am

• Oh I vaguely remember OnLive, it was the cloud game streaming service, right? I like the idea, but there were definitely a lot of problems with it and I guess that’s why it died out. I think true cloud gaming will come when basically everyone has super-fast, reliable internet but that’s a few years away I think.

They’re some of the few games that would make me want to get a PS4, but it’s not really enough of a tipping point for me. Damn consoles, why do you have to be so expensive?

Oh god, I watched that conference live. I’m glad they got rid of Don Mattrick, and if it’s any consolation, he basically destroyed Zynga after he left Xbox. Scratch my predictions about Scorpio, it’s actually just going to be a 4K TV in the shape of a football. What even are videogames?

Liked by 1 person

December 31, 2016 at 1:48 am

• Videogames? Sounds like SPORTS! :D

Liked by 1 person

December 31, 2016 at 1:50 am

Drop us a line

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s