Geek Proud, GeekOut.

No Man’s Sky – What Is It?

Have you been looking forward to No Man’s Sky? I have been and in this article, I’ll tell you why: Is this a game you should buy or is it one you should just have a watch on YouTube for? Join Timlah through a discussion on the highs and the lows of the sky; the No Man’s Sky that is!

Recently, I became interested in the aforementioned PC/PS4 title. This is a game that made people seriously excited, then lose excitement somewhat. It’s a game that got promoted to hell and back, having been in the pipeline for a good amount of time now. It’s a game that basically broke the boundaries of what it means to be an indie developer, but it’s also much more than that. It’s a game that looks to push technical limitations, allowing us to have an almost unimaginable opportunity; To explore planets for ourselves and to see just how far we can go. Just how much of this virtual space can we explore?

Supposedly, the game will feature quintillions of planets. 18 Quintillion is a really big number and if you’re unaware of what this looks like written down, a quick calculation of 2^64 will tell you exactly how big this number is: 1.844674407×10¹⁹, or more specifically: 18,446,744,073,709,551,616. This is a mighty big number and believe me when I say this; if you were to explore every one of these planets for even a day at a time, there wouldn’t be enough days left on Earth, or indeed the universe to fully explore every nook and cranny. This is thanks to the power of technology and procedurally generated planets.

The technical possibilities this game is presenting is phenomenal. Not only are they suggesting the worlds will all be procedurally generated, but there will be life forms on some of these planets; some of them will be inhabitable planets, some will not. Some will be full of life, some will have factions to reason with and to trade with. Your purpose out in No Man’s Sky is simply to explore the universe, report back about any new planets and to, as a universe, collect information! There’s also a story element where you need to reach the centre of the universe, or something along those lines…

I love the sounds of this game, but a small part of me is going to remain sceptical until we have seen it for ourselves. I’m the sort of person who really enjoys exploration and logging bits of information for others to use. I really enjoy Wiki pages and I thoroughly enjoy “grinds”, in that I like to improve things through repetition. I’ve always enjoyed these sorts of things in games, so No Man’s Sky seems like it’s exactly up my street. The fact that you get money in the game by exploring planets and reporting it to The Atlas is like music to my ears; very loud distorted music, but music none-the-less. See, amidst the concept of the game, there’s a lot of extra stuff that keeps me from being a full fanboy of it already:

Erosion is going to be a part of the game, along with evolution. This is an amazing thing and I’m really looking forward to seeing how it pans out… But how will it pan out? Will it be an arbitrary set of creatures and fauna that happen to spawn on planets here and there? Is it going to be time based and if so, does this account for human evolution? What do we really know about this game, except for the fact that it is technically going to be a very sound game? I love the fact the developers have tried so hard here, but now I must put the question back over to you: What’s your thoughts? Will this game live up to the hype, or will it flop as hard as Spore did? Let me know what you think in the comments below, or over on Facebook, Twitter or Reddit!

Advertisements

13 responses

1. Will_GSRR

I’m hugely excited for NMS. I’ve been following it for years. I can’t wait to get my hands on it. There has already been a lot of stuff leaking about it as people already have the game. I’ve mostly avoided it as I’d like to experience it myself.

Liked by 1 person

August 1, 2016 at 9:01 am

• Yep, same here. I will be getting it ASAP but AmeCon has drained my moolah! :P

August 1, 2016 at 9:13 am

• Will_GSRR

I’m on holiday when it comes out. But I can wait a few extra days. Think I’m going to have an extra day off to play it.

Liked by 1 person

August 1, 2016 at 9:16 am

• Sounds awesome! We’ll have to talk about it when we’ve got it :D

Liked by 1 person

August 1, 2016 at 9:24 am

2. Great post! I’m so ridiculously excited for this game- I can’t stop reading about it!

Have you ever thought about sharing your work on other sites? I’d be willing to help you get more views if you’re interested. Email me- tyler@nowloading.com

Liked by 1 person

August 1, 2016 at 6:24 pm

• Always nice to hear from fellow enthusiasts! This game feels important somehow… Perhaps just because of the extreme vastness of it all.

Will drop you an email soon, just to see what you have in mind :)

August 1, 2016 at 6:30 pm

3. I think it’s going to be the most divisive game of this generation.

I think players will fall into two camps; ones who just want to live a life in the stars as an explorer, trader, pirate or space cowboy. They’ll be happy just visiting as much as they can and immersing themselves in the universe.

The others will be the more action orientated. Who want quests, action, a guide where to go next etc. They’ll be the disappointed ones. The “I don’t get it, what’s the point” crowd. My opinion is they’ll be the most vocal majority and will heavily down vote the game and give it bad reviews.

Liked by 1 person

August 1, 2016 at 10:27 pm

• For the record, I can’t wait. I just want to explore everything with my kids and see what the universe has to offer.

August 1, 2016 at 10:28 pm

• I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with your first point there Ben – and for the rest of us space pirates, we’ll let them talk, whilst we have the most fun!

Your second point of exploring with your kids will be an amazing experience. I’d love to read your views once you and your kids have had a go at it, because I reckon this will be an amazing exploration game… Dare I say, more important than Minecraft was for exploration? Generated lands are exciting :)

Liked by 1 person

August 1, 2016 at 10:30 pm

• I can’t wait to see how they play it, where they go, what takes their interests, what they name things. I’m going to be a very willing co-pilot.

Liked by 1 person

August 1, 2016 at 10:32 pm

• I bet it will be very interesting to see how quickly they pick it up – and what they do when they encounter alien life forms, or planets with nothing at all!

August 1, 2016 at 10:33 pm

• I’ll be sure to let you know!

Liked by 1 person

August 1, 2016 at 10:36 pm

4. Pingback: Video Game Review: No Man’s Sky | GeekOut South-West

Drop us a line

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s