Geek Proud, GeekOut.

I Wanna Be The Guy

Indie Freeware, now that’s a genre that makes most people run to the hills. Not because they’re bad, but usually because they come as a .exe file, which naturally scares people away. “Viruses!”, I hear you shout, but this is the story of a title about The Kid. This title features no viruses, but a lot of frustration and a lot of pixelated red mist scenarios. From the never-ending spikes to the incredibly intricate jumps required, this is no easy task.

Whilst you are correct in assuming I Wanna Be The Guy is a parody game, that’s not all this title is about. From the get go, you’re met with a barrage of nearly impossible tasks. If you walk left then drop down the first hole and start to walk to the other, you’re met with a wall of spikes that tries to off you from the very start. This is the first in thousands of frustrating but well-designed traps.

I_Wanna_Be_the_Guy_title_screen

This type of game is known as a Rage Game, or (more accurately) a Trial & Error game and the genre dates back before I Wanna Be The Guy came out. But there was something so rage inducing about IWBTG that many people remember this as one of the hardest games of its kind. I, however, remember it as a way to test my patience and my endurance, for I completed it a long time ago. Amusingly, I consider this a crowning achievement of when I was 18 or 19… Somewhere around there, alright?

I’m tempted to start doing a full recording of me playing the game, getting through levels and have a death-o-meter. A recording of the time I manage to beat the zone, then a montage of all the previous failures before leaving the area. Why? Because I think it’d be rather amusing to watch at the very least. However, IWBTG isn’t the only rage game in existence and I’m looking to play some more of these, as I enjoy testing my patience.

i-wanna-be-the-guy-18

Bullet-hells are also in my radar too, as I really am into a challenge. Heck, my current main challenge is becoming platinum god on Binding of Isaac, but along the way I do like to do other games too. I’m not sure what’s given me the drive to become a gamer who takes on harder games, perhaps it’s the thrill in knowing that video games are designed to be beaten in the first place? Not all video games are designed specifically for this, but the vast majority are.

If there are any games you think I should go and have a crack at, let me know what they are. Perhaps they’ll end up on our YouTube channel soon enough, which I am working at bringing you all content on. It’s a slow process, which makes me fully appreciate people who do it full time and for a living. Running a website is tricky, running multiple channels for content is really tricky… But if there’s any way for me to share my passion for geekdom, which does include video games, then I’m all for it!

There’s a lot of games I’ve not finished… But this ties in nicely with my quest to get Perfect Games on Steam. Some of my games, sadly, are impossible to make perfect, but we’ll be covering this in our next GeekOut Podcast (Hear our previous one here), which can be heard this Sunday. Let me know in the comments below, or over on Facebook and Twitter, if you’d like to see me trying some pretty tricky games in the very near future. I’m looking into getting an Elgato, as the little capture device I have isn’t quite performing as well as I’d have hoped, but I previously mentioned it’s not exactly a spectacular one.

11 responses

1. Dark Souls, Battletoads and Super Ghost N Ghouls are known for testing a gamer’s skill.

Liked by 1 person

September 23, 2015 at 7:45 pm

• Dark Souls is a game I’ve not played… Weirdly!
      Battletoads is easy. Unless you get a player 2.
      SUPER GHOST N GHOULS! I think I should do a recorded play through of that, no? ;)

Liked by 1 person

September 23, 2015 at 8:06 pm

2. I’d still be up for watching a playthrough of Stonekeep, unless that’s already happened and I somehow missed it? :P

September 23, 2015 at 8:30 pm

• It hasn’t happened yet and actually, I think this is a good time to explain why! :D

So I use Linux, as I’ve previously mentioned on this site. I’m an Ubuntu user and I’m damn proud of this fact…

However the real cusp of why it hasn’t happened yet: My PC still needs a damn upgrade. I can run the game fine and I can record just fine… But.. When I did record an episode of it, there was a MASSIVE black line going across the top of the screen, which seems to be the way my recording software (SimpleScreenRecorder) interacts with DOS emulation via WINE…

HOWEVER… Now that you’ve said you’d still be up for it… This gives me more of a reason to, y’know, get on with it? TL;DR: Thanks Jellyfish – There’s demand of at least one person in the world. I shall do it :) Will try to record some of an episode tonight.

Liked by 1 person

September 23, 2015 at 8:44 pm

• Psst. Jellyfish…
      … There’s an episode of Stonekeep recorded…
      … I’m gonna record one more tonight. I got off my backside and said “Let’s do this!”
      … So next week, there’ll be an article and then it’ll be available! :)

WOO!

September 24, 2015 at 9:26 pm

• Fantastic, I can’t wait!

I ended up having a go at the game myself a month or two back (didn’t make it very far though). Definitely felt like playing Legend of Grimrock!

September 26, 2015 at 11:01 pm

3. I feel that Dark Souls is a game that’s goes for old-school difficulty, yet is very forward-looking and incorporates a lot of modern-day design philosophies. Consequently, it ends up being a legitimate test of one’s skills. Conversely, I feel that I Wanna Be The Guy specifically went for the old-school variant of challenge and that’s where it falls short for me. It’s difficult in absurdly cheap ways and employs a lot of design choices that haven’t aged well; some practices are abandoned for a reason.

September 23, 2015 at 11:12 pm

• Ah, but IWBTG was specifically designed as a rage game/a trial and error game. These were rife over flash game sites and can confirm the old beta is still on Kongregate. I concur that IWBTG is NOT a ‘well designed’ game, but it does a clever job with some of the traps :)

September 24, 2015 at 1:27 am

• That is true, but I’ve found that purposely implementing a bad idea doesn’t make it good. Just to highlight an example of this, the primary reason I don’t like Mother 3 that much is because too many of the design decisions were clumsily implemented to fit the story. In doing so, the gameplay’s quality became erratic. Then again, I Wanna Be The Guy was a free game, so it can get away with being more frustrating than a commercial release. If nothing else, I do admit that some of the traps are hilarious.

September 24, 2015 at 2:28 am

4. I think a lot of those indie games are more fun than all the planned through, graphic intense things… maybe thats the commodore girl from my very early childhood’s fault? this looks like a cute game to try ^^

September 27, 2015 at 10:40 pm

• Its a great fun game but super frustrating! Hoping I can record it some day :) Speaking of recordings, tomorrow we put our first episode of our Stonekeep Let’s Play up! Yaaay! :D

September 29, 2015 at 10:43 am

Drop us a line

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s