Cosplay Updates – For Serious This Time
I’ll go through how I’m doing so far. I’ve been tracking my progress with a new app called Cosplanner, so if you’re a cosplayer who really likes to keep organised, check it out. It’s free, but the upgrades for it are really cheap, so I went and got myself the upgrades.
Oskar is complete. It looks daft, it looks silly, but you know what? It’s a lot of fun to play as. Oskar is always funny to run around as, he even got some great responses over at Bristol Pride earlier this year (People just love to take pictures with the crazy skeleton). He’s got his scythe which is currently in 2 pieces I’m going to try and attach it via magnets rather than using foam or glue to attach it. The reason for this is that it’ll actually be stronger (in theory) by using some nice magnets. A little expensive, but worth it. So this costume’s left to do:
You’ll be pleased to hear progress has been made on this, but not quite enough yet. I’ve got it all of the “bits” done, including the mask, but it’s just not yet complete (which I know seems strange considering how I’ve been doing this one for so long. Blame work and other real life commitments.)
So far, here’s a list of what’s done:
- Body Suit (Broken down into gloves, lycra shirt and lycra trousers.
- Boot materials (Including my own homemade shoe bases and some leatherette). I’m cheating a bit: I’m going to get the shape sorted out with some Worbla that I’ve got. It’s cheating, but it’ll get the job done and it’ll look good!
- Mask base
My shoe bases – Cork and rubber. I might line it with a nice material so it feels better on the feet during the convention. Some trimming has been done since this picture.
And here’s what is left to be done this week:
- Make holes in the mask for the mouth and the eyes (30 minutes… There’s a lot of layers)
- File/sand the mask (1 hour)
- Paint the mask and make it shiny (5 hours)
- Attach tunic to Body Suit (10 minutes)
- The flower which will also be a straw! (30-40 minutes)
It sounds like a lot of work, but it’s all ‘done’, just not ‘finished’. We’ll see how well I do with it this week. If I get some extra time, I’ll also make the body suit more “wooden” by getting an airbrush and giving it some streaks of highlights. That’s a heck of a last minute job, but it would be worth it.
I’m toning it back a bit, as I don’t have time to make the blue coat. But this is fine, as the rest is almost there. The only thing I really have to do is make the suit itself. That sounds like a tall order, but I’ve already sorted out the patterns. I just need to cut, then sew. This should only take about 5 hours to complete.
Done so far:
- White shirt
- Formal black shoes
- Hair extensions (I’ll explain this shortly)
- Bracelet (I’ll do a post on this at some point!)
- Attorneys Badge
- Blue Tie
Need to do:
- Red waistcoat with black back. (2 hours)
- Red formal trousers. (3 hours)
That’s it. That’s all. I’m going to get on with this as soon as possible.
No pictures yet. Not really. But you’ll be kept updated. Will Timlah finish his costumes before Kitacon? Will he, for once, have 3 proper costumes? Find out next time on Timlah’s Cosplay Updates Z.
Let me know if there’s anything you think seems off with my timing. I think I’m looking at it about right – I’ve given some extra time for each piece, in case I mess up (which I will). I’ve got plenty of extra materials, so I should be fine with this. As always, let us know what you thought in the comments below, over on Facebook or Twitter.